Today was an okay day at school...compared to others it was actually more than okay. I guess my expectations are set a bit too high for this particular group of kids. (Not for individual kids, but as a whole...cause I do have some amazing kids.)
Of course the bargaining chip on the table for good behavior and attentive listening was again letting them open their stores for business. Again, kids brought in their backpacks filled with books that they could barely carry. They piled up the books by their desk and awaited the words, "You can open your stores now." Other kids had novelty school supplies today (pink paper, cool erasers and pencils). This kid had it down...1 ticket for one piece, 5 tickets for ten pieces, and 10 tickets for 10. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me...it paid to buy more.
Another kid came to me and told me he would have to lower his prices in order to get more customers...this is why I'm letting them do this...to problem solve how they can attract the most customers and ultimately make the largest profit.
As I sat back and watched each child deal with their own business issues (they won't pay me how much I asked, I sold it to them and they want to return it, I want my eraser back if they are just going to sell it to someone else), I heard the kids advertising for something new. One kid was walking around with a baggy yelling, put your tickets in here for a raffle, you'll be able to pick anything from my store. Another was gathering other kids so he could conduct an auction. I heard, "Who will buy it for one ticket? Two tickets?" The teacher next to me came over to visit and began laughing at everything that was taking place...she found it quite humorous, but also productive. It's wonderful when kids are allowed to explore ideas and learn as they go.
After a humorous afternoon, I was ready to spend some time with The Crew. The Crew consists of one of my coworkers (who I will hopefully be sharing a portable with next year), a friend who rarely hangs out because she has a hard time answering her cell phone, and a close friend who I did my student teaching with (and spend time with often). We went to Olive Garden to share some laughs over dinner (and not the wine that costs $5/glass when I've bought it at HEB before for $4/bottle). One thing I found particularly interesting is that all of my friends commented on how "mean" my words can be but how nice my actions are. I know I do this, but that each one of them realized it was funny. They referred to a time last semester when (I must have been having a rough day) I told each of them that the clothes they were wearing were bad (well, bad not be an accurate description). I have no recollection of this, but they all said it was true. WHATEVER! If I'm so mean, stop using me for my gift cards! hahaha I consider it part of my charm...and they know they couldn't live without me or my occasionally mean sarcasm. ;) If I couldn't take it, I wouldn't dish it out...
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment