This week, we began working on division with remainders. Most kids picked it up fairly quickly and the others got it a few minutes later. But, there was one kid who did not get it...poor Victor. As I wrote down a problem on the board and waited for the kids to solve, Victor shouted, "It won't work!"
Me: "I know it won't be even. That is what we are practicing."
V: "'No, it doesn't work. You can't do it."
Me: "You can do it, but you will have some leftovers."
V: "No. 31 and 4 don't work." (Keep in mind I used 31 because it's his favorite number and thought he would like the problem.)
Me: "I know. 4 can go into 31 some. How many times can it go in?"
V: "7, but it's not even!"
Me: "There you go. How many are left over?"
V: "It doesn't work."
Me: "It's not even. There are leftovers. That is what we are learning. So how many are left over?"
V: "3, but it's not even."
Me: "There you go. What's the whole answer?"
V: "7 remainder 3, but it doesn't work because it's not even."
Me: "So what is the answer again?"
V: "7 remainder 3"
Me: "Good job, you got it!"
V: "It's not even!"
We continued more practice and I had this discussion for each problem we did! He knew the answers, but didn't like "uneven-ness". We'll see how the follow-up lesson goes on Monday and see if he's learned to cope with the remainders by then.
Friday, October 10, 2008
It won't work!
Labels:
anecdotes,
division,
humor,
math,
personalities,
student relations,
Teaching,
United Streaming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment